The Royal Prince: What Will He Not Be Called?

by You Can't Call It "It"! on July 22, 2013

It’s a PRINCE!

Sorry to disappoint, but Prince Spencer is about as likely as Prince Crown Royal.  Sussing out Queen Elizabeth’s direct line yields some fascinating gems.  While my money’s on George, here’s a list of his ancestors that in all likelihood will not be the young prince’s Christian name:

Claude

Oswald

Adolphus

Edwyn

Laudislaus

Augustus

Wouldn’t these be fun though???

1 Vilde July 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oh, just imagine a little Prince Augustus!

2 Nina July 23, 2013 at 1:09 am

George
Henry
Ian
James/John
K?
Louis/Leopold
Michael (Wouldn’t the Jackson family get a kick out of that? Prince Michael!)
Nicholas

Philip/Peter/Paul
Richard
Stephen/Sebastian
Thomas
Victor
William
all have a chance to varying degrees.

4 Nina July 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

In no particular order, these are my choices for the new baby’s name:

Alfred Philip Charles Henry.

Albert Philip Charles Henry.

Arthur Philip Charles Henry.

Alexander Philip Charles Henry

So yeah, I’m stuck on the A’s. Alfred was the first English king (I think). Philip is the oldest living royal great-grandfather. Charles is the royal grandfather. Henry (Harry) is the beloved royal uncle.

Albert. (Albert Frederick Arthur George) was the current queen’s father’s name before he became King George, which is why I don’t necessarily think the baby’s first name will be George (at least not yet, though there’s a strong possibility George’ll be in there somewhere).

Arthur. Besides being legendary, Arthur is Charles’ third name (Charles Philip Arthur George) and William’s second name (William Arthur Philip Louis) so it seems to be Arthur’s turn to be the first name!

Alexander, imho, might be great, or should I say Great (as in another Alexander the Great (who knows, right?).

Another William could follow in his father’s footsteps.

And of course they couldn’t go wrong with George.

To Whatever the Royal Decision: Cheers!

5 Tabby July 23, 2013 at 1:26 am

I’m glad there won’t be a little Prince Jacob or Prince Reece or Prince Cooper running around. It would take all the sophistication out of the Royals.

I’d love a Prince Alexander Henry Phillip Leopold.

I would really love to know what their girl name was as well though, a royal girl name seems to have much more wiggle room (see: Beatrice and Eugenie).

6 Ann July 23, 2013 at 4:37 am

The wiggle room with Beatrice and Eugenie was likely because they’re farther down in line for the throne, not because they’re girls. Kate and William’s daughter would still have been the heir to the throne, so I doubt they would have been as daring.

7 Tabby July 24, 2013 at 1:06 am

But they still have names like Adelaide, Alice and Matilda available. As the only reigning Queens have been Elizabeth, Mary and Victoria, to me it’s more likely they would have given her a different (still historically royal) given name. With a son, a previous King’s name is much more likely.
It’s more that the historical royal girls names seem more unheard nowadays of than most of the male names. With gems like Alexandrina, Maud, Louisa, Augusta and even Marguerite from the Queen Mother, a girl could have had one of these more daring names in the mix somewhere. Compared to the still lovely, yet safer Arthur, Phillip, George, Edward, James, Charles and Albert!

8 Karen July 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I like the name George, but I did read somewhere that when Charles becomes King he is expected to be called George. So I wonder how that will factor in.

Also, William is particularly close to his grandfather, Phillip and Catherine’s father is Michael.

Edwards and Johns have been bad Kings in the past.

Maybe Albert George Phillip Michael OR James Phillip Michael George? Alexander is an interesting option as well.

9 Bek July 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I’ve wondered why Alexander wouldn’t be a frontrunner if Alexandra was the top pick for a girl (amongst the populace I mean).

Can’t imagine they’d use George and Michael together ;)

As much as I love George, I do kind of dread the thought of them using it for the wee prince. One of those names I hope to use in the middle should we have another boy, but fear will forever be associated as a copy if they use it up front. Ya know?

10 Elbe July 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I love George, but considering what another commenter said about it being Charles’ name when he becomes king, I think it might be out. So, I’m thinking:
Arthur
Louis
Theodore (Is there a reason this isn’t being suggested? I feel like I haven’t seen it anywhere. Maybe it’s just not “royal” enough.)

With the middle names being:
William Charles Philip (includes father, grandfather, and great-grandfather in order)

or maybe William Charles Michael (if Kate is able to get a name from her family into it)

11 Julie July 23, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Well my in-laws just named their new black lab Cody, so my three year old is suggesting that name for the new prince too. Cody would fit in just fine with Queen Elizabeth’s other great-grandchildren’s names. ;)

12 Lashley July 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm