Names Like Mason

by You Can't Call It "It"! on November 4, 2012

Whew. Little hiatus there between family visits and settling in to the new digs.  But we’re back now to continue our “Names Like…” series.  Do you like them to go in order of popularity, alternating between boys and girls?  Or would you rather me choose randomly?

Mason has climbed an astonishing 10 spots in one year, up from number 12 in 2010 to second place just behind Jacob in 2011.  No, Kourtney K. is not to receive sole credit.  Though she did help hoist the name into further notoriety.  Mason fits perfectly with the climate we are living in: he’s got two syllables, ends in N, and has that lovely long A everyone’s raving about.  Oh, and he ends in “son.”  To quote Laura Wattenberg, “we’re still living in the house that Jason built.”

So what to sub for Mason?  My immediate thought is to go toward trade names, those particularly associated with building.  Thatcher.  Sawyer.

That’s not going to satisfy you long-A-ends-in-N lovers though.  For you, I offer one little letter change with Macon (place name?).

Without further ado, here’s the whole list:

Carver

Damon

Davis

Graham

Macon

Marsden

Mercer

Rowan

Sawyer

Thatcher

Sisters: Callie, Gwyneth, Harper, Lyra, Tamsin

Brothers: Declan, Grant,  Kirby, Quinlan, Walker

What would you name Mason’s brother?  Melissa Joan Hart chose Braydon and Tucker.  Kelsey Grammer opted for Mason for his little girl.  He also has daughters named Spencer, Greer, and Faith, and a son called Jude.

Above: Mason nautical name block set from Snipitsick

1 Julie November 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Magnus
Mathias
Madsen
Malone
Marten
Morgan
Anson
Carsten
Dayton
Lawson
Tyson

2 You Can't Call It "It"! November 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm

You’re good. Lawson and Carsten have the same vibe to me as Mason, and I love some of the others.

3 Melinda November 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm

There’s a set of three brothers who play basketball at Duke – Miles, Mason and Marshall. Also, Kath Eats Real Food blogger, Kath Younger just named her baby Mazen as a Mason alternative.

4 Tracy November 5, 2012 at 4:33 am

Carson or Greyson instead of Mason.

Carter, Linden, Reid for a brother.

Blythe, Hadley, Sienna, Payton and Tessa for a sister.

5 You Can't Call It "It"! November 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Love these! Reid and Blythe and Tessa especially.

6 Phoebe November 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’m confused by the inclusion of Lyra and Gwyneth – the first is a name that stems from Greek mythology and the second is Welsh. Neither seem to be “modern” like Mason.

I do really like Thatcher, Graham, Magnus and Reid. :)

7 You Can't Call It "It"! November 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Phoebe, allow me to explain my logic: I think Lyra has a very modern feel to it. Like Lila and Lyric, but not quite as obvious, perhaps? And I like the way Mason and Gwyneth sound out loud. I almost included just Gwen but felt like it wanted another syllable on balance — her ‘N’ there tucked in the middle, the TH echoing Mason’s ‘S’ sound. A lot of names that feel modern now have ancient history. Penelope, anyone? Gwyneth Paltrow helps the name to feel modern to me, and I’m somewhat surprised it hasn’t caught on more.

8 evangelia November 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Foster, Camden, Archer, Miller, Deacon

9 nicole b. November 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love Archer, Miller and Deacon. I’m a big fan of old-fashioned names, so I might add to the list: Owen, Orson, Wilson, Winslow, Samson and Silas.

10 kari November 7, 2012 at 5:00 am

oh how i want this next baby to be Thatcher or Silas (brother to colton) but once again daddy wants to pick and he wants Bentley :( not a bad name just not a great name

11 dot November 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I went to college at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia. Southern flair!