Names Like Jacob

by You Can't Call It "It"! on September 3, 2012

Jacob is one with widespread appeal.  It must be, if it’s overtaken the number one spot for 13 years running.  What is it that we love about Jacob so much?

• We love his ancient, Judeo-Christian, venerable history.
  • We love his homespun quality.
  • We love his snappy, friendly nickname.
  • We love his J.
Here are some lesser used stalwarts that encompass one or more of the above qualities.  Have any more suggestions for Jacob lovers?  Do share please!

Abram

Asher

Ezra

Joachim

Jonas

Silas

Gus

Ike

Max

Hank

Brothers:  Asa, Boaz, Clyde, Moses, Phineas

Sisters:  Dinah, Harriet, Opal, Susannah, Willa

Image: “Interior with Jacob and Esau” by Hendrik Martensz Sorgh

1 Krysta September 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I love Jonas. LOVE IT! My husband thinks it has been ruined by The Jonas Brothers but I disagree.

2 You Can't Call It "It"! September 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I don’t think the memory of the Jonas brothers will be very long. I like to think of filmmaker Jonas Mekas.

3 Rita September 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Joachim is so underused. I think it’s quite dashing, plus the nickname Jock.

Jacob / Jake make me think of-
Aaron
Kit
Lachlan
Jeremy
Tate

4 You Can't Call It "It"! September 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Zeke for Ezekiel! Rafe for Raphael! Brilliant subs for Jake/Jacob.

5 Kayt September 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I love Jonas and Ezra. Gideon’s another one of my favorites.

6 Julie September 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Other Biblical “J”s with Jacob’s familiarity, but not his popularity.
Jared, Jesse, Judah, Josiah, Joel.

“J” Biblical obscurities:
Jair, Javan, Jael, Jabez, Justus.

These just feel like brothers for Jacob:
Simon, Callum, Jasper, Ari, Elias, Levi

Biblical names I ove and that don’t get used often enough:
Gilead, Hiram, Boaz, Kenan, Hosea

7 Jennifer September 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

In highschool I had a classmate named Jericho. I always thought that was kind of interesting.

8 Vanessa September 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Not really sure if this is the right Place to post this but I need opinions!! I’m due to have my second son and we can’t seem to agree on a name! Our first son is Bronson Ryder. Hubby and I can’t make up our minds on either Becker Easton or Brandt Easton. Please help!! Thank you!!!

9 Rachel September 6, 2012 at 3:48 am

i don’t know if you want comments from other random readers, but since you said you wanted opinions–out of those two names, I think I prefer Brandt.

10 Lashley September 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I don’t usually nix names for the “kids will make fun of it” reason (in fact, I usually get annoyed when people pull that one out), but Becker is asking for trouble from boys. Unless you’re really attached to it, I’d nix it for the same reason I wouldn’t support naming a boy Wenis. I like Brandt!

11 Lauren September 14, 2012 at 5:57 am

I know a little Beck and a Beckett… but Becker… I agree with Lashley.

12 evangelia September 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

i keep waiting for Jabez to skyrocket

13 Rachel September 6, 2012 at 3:46 am

Asher, Ezra, and Silas are all contenders if I ever have a son

14 Vanessa September 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thank you ladies!! Lashley, we actually decided to nix Becker for that exact reason!

15 Kara September 9, 2012 at 3:19 am

Jacob (nickname Jake) was our boy name. We ended up with 3 girls so we never got to use it.

As far as my opinion regarding Vanessa’s post: I definitely prefer Brandt to Becker. I’m with others who said “Becker” reminds them of a particular male body part (pecker). Just my opinion….

16 You Can't Call It "It"! September 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Yes, like the others said, 100 times Brandt! Good luck. :-)

17 Vanessa September 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Now the question is….Brandt because it’s a nice name OR because it’s just better than Becker???? Im open to suggestions if anyone has input as to a name that would go well with his brother (Bronson Ryder) last name is short and starts with a “P”. Having a VERY difficult time with this one! Please help :)

18 Lashley September 12, 2012 at 1:06 am

I do think Brandt is a nice name. I also like Bennett if you’re sticking to ones that start with B.

19 Vanessa September 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Doesn’t need to begin with a B. just happens to be what we’ve been drawn to but open to anything that isn’t super common!! I like Bennett. May run that by the hubby. Thanks Lashley!!

20 kg September 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

beckett? i think beckett easton and bronson ryder make a good pair. brandt is nice but i like a 2 syllable name better and i think becks is a cute nickname. cute like david beckham :)

21 You Can't Call It "It"! September 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Beckett is a great suggestion! Beckett, Brandt, or Bennett are all very nice. I love that you’re looking toward a different ending letter this time.

22 Linnea September 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love Joakim… the Swedish version of Joachim, pronounced Yoo-a-kim.