New Digs.

by You Can't Call It "It"! on June 5, 2011

klein-bottle-house-1

Hello Everybody!  Welcome to the newly renovated YCCII. What do you think?  Do you like it?  Please say yes.  ;-)

I’m changing a few things around here and really welcome your feedback.

You will see Style Categories listed at the right to help you in your quest.  The categories are up, but it may take a while to get through old posts that were never tagged.  Bear with me on this.  Any category you would like to see that isn’t there?

Both Twitter and Facebook pages are now easier to access.  You can now tweet a post you like, and go directly to my accounts from the buttons at the far right.  I’m working on other social media plugins as well.  Do you have a favorite?  Anybody use Digg?  Stumbleupon?  Kirtsy?

All posts are now white on a black background.  I think it looks contemporary and fresh, but how is it on your eyes?

What would love to have here at You Can’t Call It “It”?  Is there anything that you miss about the old site?

Yea for Spring cleaning!

image

1 Jessica June 6, 2011 at 12:47 am

Digs look nice but the font is to small for white on black. It’s hard to read.

2 ARealMama June 6, 2011 at 12:56 am

I agree with Jessica. Hard to read :( (and while contemporary, not fun for a baby naming site)

3 Claire June 6, 2011 at 1:21 am

I’m finding it very hard on the eyes also – I really can’t read more than a couple sentences before my brain wants me to look away, which I don’t like – I really enjoy reading your blog! I think changing back to the old colors/format would be better.

4 Natasha June 6, 2011 at 2:00 am

I agree with the above comments. It’s definitely hard to read. Also, it looks as though you made it so your posts could be read via google reader – huge YAY. My plugin of choice is StumbleUpon :)

5 Martina June 6, 2011 at 2:20 am

Ditto … I always fine that reading white text on black bg on screen hurts my eyes. I think the new design and layout work great through. Even just a dark gray background would be a little less contrast for reading.

6 Meg June 6, 2011 at 2:23 am

I am thrilled with the style categories and I love the new heading.

I have to admit I’m not a fan of the white on black. It’s hard on the eyes and the font is tiny.

The comment text while I’m writing my comment is also extremely pale grey on white. It is almost to the point I can barely see it as I’m writing. Is there any way you can darken the comment text?

7 Anna Hamilton June 6, 2011 at 2:33 am

It is giving me a headache the white on black and the grey is not much better.

I love your site but won’t be able to read it like this.

8 Oph June 6, 2011 at 2:36 am

I unfornately agree with everyone else that it is hard to read :( Great concept though, I like the new categories! I also agree with Meg that when typing it is very pale gray.

9 Oph June 6, 2011 at 2:36 am

unfortunately*

10 Patricia June 6, 2011 at 3:57 am

I like the Style categories, but for me Search works better. Is that option still available? I don’t see it. I’ve gone back several times to your Little Black Dress post, your alternatives to the most popular names and your game of choosing names for quads with the names in the SSA 100s, 200s, etc. I have no idea how to find them now. I’ve also sometimes used your links to some of your favorite name blogs, but can’t find that either. ???

11 Patricia June 6, 2011 at 4:02 am

Of course immediately after I wrote the post above, your Pages section popped up above “Categories”. I’m sure it wasn’t there a few minutes ago… Anyway, now I can search for favorite posts again.

12 Elisabeth Wilborn June 6, 2011 at 4:10 am

I’m still tinkering Patricia. It’s really helpful to know what your favorite posts are!

Ugh, I see what you mean about the type being difficult to read both when you type and when reading white on black.

I’m going to experiment with more designs and see what’s out there. Thanks for all your comments everyone! Don’t get confused if the site keeps looking odd for a while. :-)

13 Candy Brown June 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Dislike the huge font that is now being used. The title now feels like it is screaming at you. Soften the font, nothing script and “flowy”, just not the big block style font. The page is very easy to navigate. I do not use any of the feeds like Stumblupon, nor Twitter, but do read you on Facebook and whenever you have a post there, I always click on it and read.

14 Elisabeth Wilborn June 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I am trying to figure out how to modify some of these themes that are *almost* right. There’s a lot that I like about this one, so I appreciate the feedback!

15 Amy June 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I liked the one you had up yesterday MUCH better. This one I don’t care for at all. Sorry! I like this the least, then the original, but LOVED the black w/ the photo banner!

16 Siobhan June 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I prefer this layout to the first one you put up with the white on black text – the text was very difficult to read with that version. I’m a graphic designer, and must say I still prefer the original design template – it had a softness and warmth to it that I really loved, and that suited the subject matter. I also loved that photo of your daughter in the header! Still, this option is a vast improvement on the earlier option. If it were up to me, I’d maybe stick with the original layout (with the addition of the category tabs down the side, which I love!!), and perhaps just change the header photo occasionally to keep it fresh…

17 Elisabeth Wilborn June 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I agree with everything you just said Siobhan! I love the original template, which is precisely why it was up for three years. :-)

If I could use that with the info along the sides, like you suggested, we’d have a perfect world. And I agree, changing the photo every once in a while would keep things fun and fresh. Alas, the original template is outdated and inflexible, so I am unable to move the headers from the bottom to the side, which is so ridiculous.

18 Siobhan June 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’m really liking today’s option, Elisabeth! It’s got the classic look of the original site, and the text is much easier to read than on some of the earlier versions (serif typefaces are generally better for long copy, plus there’s better line spacing than on yesterday’s option). I would be very happy if this was the look you went with, although I’d still love to see a photo in the header! :)

19 Elisabeth Wilborn June 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Siobhan! It’s great to have a professional graphic designer’s opinion. I’m still going to tinker with the header and the fonts and colors to make it more “ours”, but I love the flexibility of this template.

Still welcoming opinions!

20 K June 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I liked the one you had up yesterday (I always prefer a dark background and white text). This one seems less sophisticated.

21 Deborah June 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Didn’t like the white on black yesterday at all, so I do like the mint green background better, but it’s not thrilling me. You do rock for asking everyone what they think though!

22 Jessica June 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

It’s ok don’t love it. (some kind of blue/green background) Your old look was nice. :) Maybe you just need a different header or picture in your old header. ??

23 Coral June 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Well, I guess I’m in the minority, but I like the change a lot! It feels clean and bright and fresh. I guess I missed the white on black phase, but this one (white bg, mint grn…) is really pretty. LOVING the sidebar categories too. :) i do miss seeing a photo at the top. I think that would really anchor the site intent and perhaps be an easier transition for readers. Good job, tinkering though! <3

24 Kyla June 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I do like it, although I thought I’d stumbled across a copy cat site when googled this morning because for some reason my favourites list got mangled! It’s not as “fun” as the old site, and I’m finding difficult to navigate, I know that I’ll take some time to recategorize things, but still a bit frustrating!
I’d love to have “girls names” and “boys names” categories….makes it easier than going post by post sometimes ;)

25 Elisabeth Wilborn June 8, 2011 at 2:23 am

Separating by gender is a great idea! Let me plow my way through the present categories and I’ll see what I can do to make browsing easier.

Give me time, and the site will become more personalized and hopefully much easier to navigate than the old YCCII.

26 Lily June 8, 2011 at 3:48 am

Hi Elisabeth.. I like the new format :) I absolutely adore the staple pages up the top and the style categories down the side… so much fun to browse through! I think I missed the white on black stage, and the mint stage, so I didn’t get a chance to check them out, but I’m a fan of this lay out (granted I’m biased as I’m 99% sure this is the same theme I use for my student teaching portfolio haha). I do miss the photo header though!

Also, I don’t mean to crash your post, but I have an exceptionally well named sibset to share, and no one in my life appreciated it, so I thought I’d share here lol. A parent of a preschool student of mine just had a baby girl: Pomeline Cassandra :) with big sisters Amabel Felicity and Louisa Viatrix! I was very impressed when I heard the baby’s name… Bella, Lou and Millie is really sweet, and I have a huge name crush on Pomeline.

27 Elisabeth Wilborn June 8, 2011 at 3:54 am

Incredible names Lily! Almost too good to be true. Fun to see Pomeline and Viatrix used in real life. Amabel, too. Will share on Facebook, it’s so good. :-D

Thanks for the positive feedback on the format! Still a work in progress, but it’s coming.