Southern Gentlemen

by You Can't Call It "It"! on August 20, 2009

Prep

These kids were born “good ole boys.”

Many truly are.  The young man who sat next to me on the plane went to this school.  He shared his ipod and cell phone with my toddler to help entertain her during the near two hours we waited on the runway.  He carried my bags off the flight, and waited patiently while I buckled both girls into their double stroller (I was traveling alone with two under two).  Too bad I didn’t find the same humanity from the Delta employee on the return leg.  ”I have to carry my own bags off” was her appalling reply when I asked politely for help.  I had a baby in each arm!  Some people just hate breeders.

This list is awesome if I do say so myself.  Special thanks to my mother, who painstakingly typed out each name from the catalogue of my uncles’ alma mater.  These represent all ages.

Amos

Elliot (x3)

Elliott

Ellis

Emmett

Evan

Farrell

Field (x2) (twin Sanford, Bennett)

Fleet

Rollin

Ron

Ross (x2)

Russell

Rusty

Ryves

Sanford (Bennett, twin Field)

Scott

Wil

Wilson

Wis

Wise

Xander

1 Mookie August 20, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Avery, Bennett, Declan, George, Harrison, Jack, Kelly, Lane, Liam, Shelby, Spencer, and Wesley are lovely — Avery, Harrison, Kelly, Lane, and Shelby in particular! Do you know the name of the kind fellow on the plane?

2 youcantcallitit August 20, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Oh, of course! It was Chad who helped me. “Charles” on the birth certificate, named after grandpa Charlie.

3 Mookie August 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

That’s certainly a new and interesting nickname for Charles — will have to ponder that for a bit!

4 blissfully caffeinated August 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm

And suddenly I’m depressed by the fact that I will never have a little boy to dress in seersucker pants and a cute bow tie. Because, how adorable is that?

Sounds like a nightmare plane trip. What the frack is wrong with airline employees these days? Are they just so irritated by people traveling with kids that all traces of human decency go out the tiny cabin window? Thank goodness you had Chad there to help you. And two hours on the runway with two kids? Ugh. We’ll be flying cross country with our kids in February, including the babeh that will be 4 months old, and I’m really dreading it.

Sorry, once again I’m leaving a comment that’s completely off topic. :)

5 youcantcallitit August 21, 2009 at 8:45 am

A perfectly appropriate response to my off-topic entry.

The same airline employee also told me that the milk was only for coffee. :-/ I didn’t even mention that we had to switch planes on the return due to mechanical failure– a move which delayed us three hours. Better safe than sorry, but you’d think they could spare a little milk.

While I rant… my daughter’s and my seats got separated. As I checked in to this full flight, I was told that “it was up to the discretion of the other passengers” as to whether or not we would be able to sit together.

Oh, and isn’t seersucker the best?

6 Mookie August 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

Wow. That airline employee (and your flight in general) sounds like it was itchy-with-a-B. (My new favorite term to use when I’m talking to adults around my toddler-aged niece… she has no clue what it means.) Sorry for the horrible flight :(

Did the other passengers give you their discretion?

7 blissfully caffeinated August 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I would definitely complain to the airline. You’re stuck because of their issues and they can’t spare milk for you? No way.

8 Polly August 21, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I second that you ought to complain.

A friend of mine was stuck on the runway once for four hours with two young children, of similar ages to Beatrix and Eulalie. [ just love their names and have to use them!] I can only imagine how hard that would be – then the added hours of the flight!

9 Charity August 22, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Hurray for more southern goodness! Goodness, do I love these names. My favorites…

Battle — I could never fathom actually using it, but wow, it is a cool name!
Blake
Cam — Love. Love, love, love.
Cannon
Chad — My dad’s name. He was also, I am so proud to say, a true southern gentleman.
Chance
Chuck
Dallas
Declan
Eli
Field
Gideon
Russell — My maiden name. Strongly considering using this four #4, if it turns out to be a boy…
Wesley

On a sidenote, I am so sorry for the rudeness of your airline personnel. That is uncalled for.

10 caroline August 25, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Delurking again! I thought it was funny that I am either using Cannon or Field (family names) as my unborn son’s middle name, though I have played with them as first names. Have heard Cannon many times, but never Field.
Also, just wanted to point out that I have noticed a definited shift from Treys to Trips. I think we know 3 little Trips born in the last couple of years.

11 Jim September 19, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I do hope Major and Minor aren’t sibs. ;)

12 Lori October 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Here’s some family names (I’m from Alabama) to add to this list:
Radford