Alternate Top 100, Young Gents

by You Can't Call It "It"! on June 6, 2009

Remy
Name possibilities continue to run far and wide on the boys’ list.  I must admit that finding suitable substitutes for the top 100 blues proved to be more difficult than the pinks.  Nothing replaces a classic, but perhaps some of these suggestions, which include cognates and corollaries with similar pedigrees, will help to stimulate the imagination?  People have always been willing to take more of a chance with their daughters’ monikers, so don’t be surprised if many are out of your comfort zone.  I certainly don’t expect everyone anticipating baby David to make the leap to Moses overnight!
  1. Jacob –> Max
  96. Josiah –> Jonas
  97. Kyle –> Kian
  98. Colton –> Corbin
  99. Kaden –> Roman
  100. Eli –> Leo

1 Jodi June 6, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I think it’s safe to say every boys’ name I have ever loved is on that list in some form. Very well done! I might just come back here if I ever find myself in need of a boys’ name :)

2 E@Oh!Apostrophe June 6, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Oh no!!! You took my least favorite “popular” name and replaced it with my most beloved name! Are these predictions? Eek!

3 youcantcallitit June 6, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Please do, Jodi! I doubt you’ll need me, though. You didn’t seem to need any help finding fabulous names for your daughters I see. ;-)

4 ShellyOk June 7, 2009 at 1:09 am

Love this list—great names. With very few ecxeptions, your alternatives are so much more interesting! Fantastic job, once again.

3 out of my top 5 names if this one is a boy is on here (Felix, Rafael, and Oscar). 90% sure if we find out it’s a boy, we will go with Felix.

5 Patricia June 7, 2009 at 10:29 am

Elisabeth, what a clever idea to come up with an alternate name for every name in the top 100. Boys names seem to be difficult for almost everyone, so I think your suggestions are really helpful. But there’s an alternate name on the list that I find problematic — Judah (especially the shortened form Jude). I’m wondering if you or anyone can come up with a different substitute name for Jaden.

6 Patricia June 7, 2009 at 10:58 am

Jaden -> Judson

I did a search in Baby Name Finder and found Judson. It seems to fit as another possible alternate to Jaden.

7 youcantcallitit June 7, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Patricia, I’ve certainly wondered the same thing about Jude. Judah I thought was different, and neither one to be confused with Judas. Perhaps a post on this name alone is in order!!! I have noticed both Judah and Jude getting more attention.

I’m going to think on substitutes for Jaden and get back to you.

8 LB June 7, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Great list – this is the type of list I wish I had when we were trying to find a name for our son (his name is on the list). I love the suggestion of Maddox in replacement of Jackson, although I prefer it spelled Madoc instead.

9 youcantcallitit June 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm

E@Oh! No, these aren’t predictions per se. Some I do think will rise, and it would be nice to hear some of these a bit more– provided it’s not your own child’s name which garners too much attention! I LOVE the name of your blog, by the way.

ShellyOK, your short list is swoon worthy!

10 Emmy Jo June 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Lots of my favorites on here! Julius, Edward, Wesley, and Frederick are currently at the top of our list if this baby is a boy. Our boys’ list is still a work in progress, though. I should have my husband take a look at this post and see if anything fabulous jumps out at him.

11 rockingfetal June 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I had to smile at Lucas -> Silas since I agreed to the opposite when naming him. I still wish he was Silas, though the feeling has settled into more of an occasional pang than a tragedy of Greek proportions. ;)

12 brooke June 7, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Okay, now I am with the commenter from the girl’s version. Don’t be promoting one of my names! (in a “oh no you din’t” tone) haha. Great job once again!

13 babynamelover June 7, 2009 at 8:55 pm

What a wonderful list :)

I love Phineas, Barnabas (although Barnaby) Elias, Emmett, Rupert, August, Hector, Julius, Linus, Jasper, Raphael & Edward.

14 Elle June 8, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I love the name Asa. In high school, I was often paired with my buddy Asa to try and help him thru school. He (and his name) will always have a dear place in my heart.

15 Elizabeth June 11, 2009 at 7:47 am

I’m so surprised to see Adrian in the 50s; I thought we were safe, since here in England it’s way down in the 400s! I hope this is not an example of things to come!

16 Elsa June 13, 2009 at 10:52 am

Another great list.

Julius is my favourite, but again, I’m biased.

I’d happily use any of these: Peter, Hugh, Noam, Gideon, Matthias, Abel, Justus (Julius & Justus would be too much though!), Silas, Zacharias, Joachim, Rupert, Abram, Tobias, August, Alban, Hector, Linus, Octavio, Raphael, Cadmus

17 Sylvie February 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

your list made me smile, as two of my sons names are in it (Roman and Remy). THANK you for putting Remy as a boy name – I am French and Remy is a very masculine name, never heard of for a girl and it drives me crazy to only see girls with this name here in the US…I was starting to wonder if I had inflicted some kind of curse on my poor little boy.

18 youcantcallitit February 4, 2011 at 3:13 am

Oh no. Do people really use Remy as a girl’s name in the States? If we ever were to have a boy, it’s one I’d strongly consider. THank you so much for writing Sylvie. What are your other children’s names?

19 Kay September 29, 2011 at 3:04 am

Every boys’ name I have considered for my little peanut is on that list. I absolutely love your blog and will definitely be coming back for more advice before my final decision. :)