Top 100 Alternates, Ladies First

by You Can't Call It "It"! on June 4, 2009

Auden

Times have changed.  The top 100 baby names in the United States at the moment are very heartening.  When we see lovelies such as Emma, Isabella, Sophia, and Olivia in the top 10, it’s momentous.  Taste has evolved for the better.

Yet I still lament that many parents chose these beautiful names unwitting that they were so very very popular.  If you would like your child to be the only one in his or her class, try these alternates on for size.  I’ve tried to maintain similarity between history, style, and/or meaning.  Most will surprise your friends, but I’ll wager that many will garner more attention over the years.  Better to be ahead of the pack I say.

Anyone else have some ideas we could tap into for great substitutes?

1. Emma  –> Rose
  96. Isabel –> Mirabel
  97. Mary –> Susan
  98. Zoey –> Pax
  99. Gracie –> Sadie
  100. Megan –> Teagan

1 Polly June 4, 2009 at 11:27 pm

You make a good point that a lot of parents choose ‘classic’ names not realising how popular they are.

Matilda is actually really popular in Australia, so it’s funny to me to see it mentioned as an alternative to a popular name.

2 Jess June 5, 2009 at 9:08 am

I LOVE this post. What a great idea and your choices are so inspired. I can’t imagine how long it took you to write this! Instead of Grace, use Jane. Instead of Alyssa, use Calista. Instead of Gabriella, use Francesca. Perfect suggestions of realistic, usable names and quite brilliantly done if you ask me.

3 smismar June 5, 2009 at 11:25 am

Great post and great suggestions! Many of the “alternate” names were on my list (and still are for a potential DD#2).

4 Kim W June 5, 2009 at 1:23 pm

What a terrific, thoughtful post! You captured the essense of these popular names perfectly…thanks!

5 Marilyn June 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Wow, I love these ideas. I want to go through the list again and look more in-depth at meanings, etc. I can’t wait to hear the boys’ names, too! Thanks for all your work on this!

6 Nan June 5, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Please! Don’t give away so many good ones. I saw one of mine on there that I haven’t seen anywhere before.

7 Polly June 5, 2009 at 9:58 pm

What was it? All of the above I’ve seen mentioned by name fanatics.

8 Nan June 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I don’t want to say for fear of bringing more attention to it. Mind you, it was pretty far down on the list.

9 brooke June 5, 2009 at 9:00 pm

great list! good job!

10 Jodi June 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Wonderful list! You’ve got my Juniper listed as an alternative for Jennifer, and now I have the Donovan song stuck in my head :)

11 ShellyOk June 6, 2009 at 12:56 am

Many names you listed as alternatives I really love, a few I really detest—wow! Still, an intriguing list.

A serious contender if my next one is a girl is listed (Kalila), but as an alternative to Neaveh–kind of scary. Some of your other alternatives are on my long list. You are never dull with your name choices–part of the reason I follow your blog!

12 Patricia June 7, 2009 at 11:02 am

I *really* like Phoebe and thought it might be among the alternate names, but it’s not… I think Phoebe might work as a substitute for Chloe. What do you think?

13 Patricia June 7, 2009 at 12:40 pm

And how about Sylvie as a substitute for Sophie? (I love them separately and together.)

14 youcantcallitit June 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Phoebe definitely occurred to me as a substitute for Chloe! It was a near miss. It’s not on the list in part because I DO love the name, and don’t want it to get overexposed. I’ve talked about Phoebe in other posts. She made the Sweet Spot list– http://youcantcallitit.com/2009/04/30/the-sweet-spot/

Sylvie is also the perfect alternate for Sophie. Well done!

15 Emmy Jo June 7, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Lovely post!

I’ve always thought Cora and Clara would make great Emma-substitutes. They’ve got the two-syllable A-ender thing going, and they feel like they belong to a similar era. I think Elsa works, too. Slightly different feel (not quite as “homey”), but very similar sound.

I was intrigued to see what you would recommend as a Nevaeh-alternative. I think Kelila works well! It’s Christian, it’s very unfamiliar and “new” sounding, and it has a modern multicultural sort of appeal (the way names like Maya, Leila, and Nevaeh do). Good job!

16 babynamelover June 7, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I love your girls list just as much as the boys :)

Araminta, Beatrice, Keturah, Iris, Rowan, Genevieve, Esme, Alice, Lucy & Evangeline caught my eye and made me smile. Pity hubby will only consider Rowan on a boy.

17 blissfully caffeinated June 10, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I keep coming back and reading your posts today! What a great alternate list. You have some of my faves on here, like Rowan, Harper and Cecily. Also, Wren is really growing on me. How adorable!

18 Elsa June 13, 2009 at 10:44 am

Some lovely alternatives there – especially Helena and Esther – but then I’m biased! ;)

19 Bronwyn (MayB) June 21, 2009 at 2:12 am

You picked my name!!! It is an awesome name. Until you’re 10 and you find one definition of it “Milky White Breasts”. And then you live with that forever.

20 Pamela Redmond June 21, 2009 at 7:52 pm

This is brilliant, Elisabeth. My favorite: Marietta for Savannah.

21 Sara June 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm

AHHH!!! So excited!! My 6 month olds name is Rowan! I fell in love with this name in 6th grade and now almost 20 years later got to use it, but have been disappointed that the only three Rowans I have heard since my child’s birth have been BOYS. Finally, my little Rowan girl is noticed by someone out there beside those of us who love her madly. Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy I am with her name and how happy I am to see it becoming more known.